A professional society of religious educators was established at the National Conference, Gathering at the Well, in May 2008. Here are some indicators of what the society offers.
- To organise religious educators in Catholic schools in South Africa
- To expose religious educators to the wider perspectives of Religious Education in Africa and the world
- To enrich religious educators through contact with key persons and developments in the field
- To develop a robust and educationally sound and challenging discipline of Religious Education
- Networking with other religious educators on a national basis
- Being a focal point and voice for concerns in Religious Education in South Africa
- Networking with other national and international bodies involved in Religious Education
- The Well periodical three times per year
- Reetsanang newsletter also three times per year
- Placements in Religious Education
- Preferential conference and workshop rates
- Opportunities for sharing personal resources through contributions to The Well and Reetsanang
- Anyone with an interest in Religious Education
- By subscription
Download the 2011 newsletter
Download the 2012 newsletter
Download the 2013 newsletter
Download the membership form or click on the image to the right:
Download the 2012 subscription form
Download the 2013 subscription form (This can also be used for new meembers to sign up)
Religious education is an essential key learning area in all South African Catholic schools and given its significance to and for the Catholic school’s identity, mission and curriculum, the idea of specific teaching standards for this area needs some attention. You are invited to participate in a research project which aims to generate a list of professional standards for religious educators in South African Catholic schools.
You will find a description of the project here.
You can download the questionnaire here.
Members indicate their particular interests on their membership form. Maybe their interest lies in Theology or Scripture or Morality or some other area. Groups are formed on this basis, and the members receive via email regular bits of reflective material coinciding with their interest.
Download an article from a back issue of The Well.
Vol 5 No 1 Lighting the Way (Fr Joe Slattery)
Vol 5 No 2 Ten Ways to grow the refelctive dimension of your RE (Lat Blaylock, RE Today)
Vol 5 No 3 Touching the Sacred (Mary McClure SND, Scotland)
Vol 6 No 1 Science's Loss was Religion's Gain - Graham Rossiter (Robert Tobias)